According to the National Transport Medical Institute Act No.25 of 1997, the functions of the National Transport Medical Institute are as follows.
- Providing medical services and assistance to drivers and operators of all types of vehicles including heavy vehicles.
- Examine and issuing certificates of physical and mental fitness to drivers and operators of all types of vehicles including heavy vehicles.
- Subject drivers and operators of all types of motor vehicles to medical examinations and make recommendations regarding their qualifications and suitability.
- Providing necessary medical services and assistance in road accidents relating to any type of motor vehicles.
- To ensure that all types of motor vehicles are driven and operated only by persons physically and mentally fit, making inquiries from the relevant institution or other institutions.
- Appointment of a Board of suitable Medical Officers for different districts and provinces to perform the functions of the institute.
- Providing medical advice and recommendations on industrial hygiene and industrial accidents.
- Providing advice and special guidance regarding compensation or damages payable in accidents.
- Formulation of relevant standards and fixing of limits pertaining to Transport Medical Activities to be followed by relevant implementing authorities.
- Providing Medical Services and assistance to drivers and operators in Companies or State Corporations established under act No. 23 of 1987 pertaining to conversion of State
- Corporations or Government Owned Business Undertakings to Public Companies or Private Bus Companies registered under National Transport Commission Act No.37 of 1991.
Head Office Contact details:-
National Transport Medical Institute
High Level Road
Tel: +94 (0) 112 814 844
Fax: +94 (0) 112 809 305
Branch Offices contact details
No.360/7, Colombo Road,
No.83, Cheena Koratuwa,
No.27, South Circular Road,
No.01, Public Playground Road,
Magam Ruhunu Administration Complex
First Trade Complex
No.17, Daya Gunasekara Mwatha
No.110, Wellawaya Road
No.17, Olive Road
Werahera Vihicle Village
Old Market Road
No.11/3, Kachcheri Place
Nallur Road, Chundikule
No.237, Colombo Road
District Secretary’s Office
Organization InformationMinistry of Transport
Mr. Channa Dias
Telephones:+94 11 2 687 105, +94 11 2 669 307, +94 11 2 682 952 ,+94 11 2 684 299
Fax Nos:+94 11 2 684 930, +94 11 2 689 454
Email:firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com